Sunday, October 12, 2008

Geckos

The lizards on Kauai look more like geckos to me -- they are about 6 inches long and are so cute (I love their "toes"). Kevin took this photo of a gecko on a wall - whenever we got home at night we'd see geckos hanging around.

As we were walking by several ginger plants, Kevin spotted a little green gecko licking water out of the petals of the ginger. In this photo, he's checking me out. (It's amazing how well he blends in with the green leaves.)

Then, he leaned into the flower's shadow to try to hide a bit. (I uploaded these photos in high resolution, so you could blow them up to see him better.) This is Hawaii's state flower, the yellow hibiscus (there isn't a gecko in this photo). Before 1988, the state flower was a red hibiscus--I'm not sure why they changed. Apparently hibiscus were thought to be endemic to Kauai until 1980 when a botantist discovered that it is really an African plant that escaped from cultivation decades ago (so the state flower isn't really from the state!). What I didn't know was that the blossom only lasts 1 day, and then it dies. No wonder I could never get my hibiscus hedge to be fully in bloom!

No comments: